As I’ve done in the past, I’m going to make a post to put pressure on us to finish a project…namely this secretary that has been dragging on for weeks (months perhaps?). We made great progress with it, and now we’re at the point that it just needs to be sealed up and posted on craigslist, but somehow its those finishing touches that we seem to love to procrastinate on.
Last post, I left you with the body that had just gotten the first coat or two of off-white paint, and the ombre style drawers that each had a different stain:
Since then we’ve put about 5 more coats of paint on the body and the cubby compartments, and we got excited and put the whole thing together to see what it would look like with the ombre drawers:
First reaction?? I love the drawers, and I love it without the flip-down desk part attached, but with that flap of wood there, I can’t help but think there is TOO much white! Ideas to fix this situation were repaint the whole thing with a creamier less-stark-white color (ugh lots of work), or try to affix a painted wood applique that would simply break up some of the monotonous white (kind of like this, as an example), or simply paint some sort of alternate-color pattern onto the flap. The last option is what we tried first since it was the easiest, and I think it will work!
Just that subtle gray stripe breaks up the monotony of the white, so I think it did the trick. Nik also shaped a replacement foot for the front left foot that was missing a chunk of wood, and that looks perfect, so we added that and gave it a few coats of paint. We’re currently working on applying 3 coats of water-based polyurethane (again, we used the water based since it dries clear and we’re working with a very light colored paint), and then we need to attach the hardware and the backing and this will be good to go! I’m setting a deadline for this…so by this time next week, I plan to have a finished product to show you!