Salvaged Secretary Dresser

We’ve finally finished our secretary! To remind you, we bought this at the Raleigh flea market from some guy who said he cleans out old barns for people, and he found this in one of them. It was pretty rough to start out (with lots of icky spiders inside it!):

IMG_0993      IMG_0974

Our strategy was to strip and sand the drawer fronts,the top of the desk, and the very top shelf. We sanded these down as much as possible and stained these parts with 3 different shades of stain. The rest, including the cubby insert, was sanded, primed, and painted many times over since red from the wood kept leeching through. Nik added a cut piece of wood to replace a chunk that was missing out of one of the front feet. Nik then stenciled a design into the front fold up panel to add some texture. I sealed the whole thing was sealed with water-based polyurethane. Then I spray painted the old hardware (admittedly this is one thing we’re still working on…our first spray coat was done in very humid weather and they dried sticky so I’m going to redo this…but they were good enough for pictures!).

Here is the final product:

IMG_1159       IMG_1148 IMG_1150       IMG_1158

And here are some closeups on the hardware, the keyhole on the front, and the inside hinges:

IMG_1144    IMG_1156 IMG_1146       IMG_1151

Sorry to overload you with pictures, but I think this piece has a lot of interesting details to show! So, with all the stripping, sanding, the different stains we used, the new sheet of backing we put on, and the primer/paint/polyurethane and spray paint, I think we’re about $75-80 into this piece including the $50 we paid for it, so we’ll see what we get out of it!

Nik is working on a new eclectic project that he dug out of the dumpster – as a teaser, its a big old chair, and there will be lots of belts involved with the final product. I need to get some pictures of his progress from his phone, but I’ll post about that next week! Also, we’re going to my parents for Thanksgiving and they’ve decided to put us to work this weekend (not a bad idea with all the calories that will need to be burned off) redoing 2 little pieces of furniture they picked up last week from an unfinished wood store. So there will be a lot to look forward to next week!

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s