Apparently this is my 100th post on the blog, which nicely coincides with us finally finishing the kitchen shelving. For all intents and purposes, I think this is good enough to call the kitchen DONE. DIY people seem to never quite “finish” a project because when you can do things yourself, there’s always something else you can add, or redo so it seems never ending at times.
We replaced the cabinet to the left of the sink with shelving, because when we were demo-ing the kitchen, and that cabinet came down, the room just opened up and seemed so light and airy.
Nik immediately suggested putting shelves there, and I kind of agreed we could “try it,” fully thinking it wouldn’t happen. This is what happens when men are put in charge of renovations – they don’t think about the messy cups and plates that a solid cabinet door hides, but these are the thoughts women are plagued with. Fortunately, we received all new dinnerware and wine glasses and water glasses for our wedding, which can now be neatly displayed on our new shelves.
We wanted “bulkier” looking wood shelves, and unfortunately the hardware store only carries nicer wood planks up to 3/4″ thick. They looked a little underwhelming to us, so we wandered and came across stair treads, which are red oak, 1″ thick, and more than the 10″ deep that we wanted the shelves. They were a little pricey, at $27 a step, but the alternative was going to look for reclaimed wood at the Reuse Warehouse in Durham, which probably would’ve been comparable and would’ve taken up precious Saturday time.
We bought brackets off Etsy from Lithuania of all places, which were also pricey and came out to $155 with shipping for 9 brackets. But, they looked great and seemed strong enough to hold the shelves.
To get close to our floor stain color, we did a coat of special walnut and a coat of red chestnut Minwax stain. Then the shelves were sealed with 2 coats of water-based poly. Mounting the brackets into studs proved to be a bit challenging – especially the long shelf on the far wall, since there were no conveniently located studs for two of the brackets so we had to use drywall anchors. It took 2+ tries to find an anchor with appropriately sized screws for the brackets. But the shelves are up now, and here’s the finished product!
Far shelf (garage wall – we haven’t quite figured out what to put on this shelf yet, so as of now it’s extra bakeware and glasses and a decorative sign we got from Nik’s brother’s girlfriend for Christmas last year):
And our left-of-sink cabinet (I think there’s too much stuff on this currently…but it doesn’t look as full in person. We might clear off some of the stuff if we can find space elsewhere).
And to see how the shelves tie into the whole room, here are some further-away shots.
We like how they turned out – and its exciting to have all those cups and plates up off the kitchen counter now!
In other news, we got our little tree up this weekend. There was some bickering about the slightly ridiculous star placement, and it seems as though my argument to leave it as is will win!