We didn’t have much to work on, so we asked our roommate if we could redo his side table. He said sure. Here’s how it started:
Nik did this mostly by himself. He stripped it down and stained the top and the side panels with dark walnut stain.
Then he painted the legs with left over green and white paint. We replaced the hardware with a new knob as well. The piece was sealed with polyurethane and polycrylic. We never snapped a finished photo of this, so I’ll take one soon and add it to this post!
This dresser was purchased for $40 from a lady in Carrboro. It was old and needed some structural repair, but in the end we got the drawers working decently.
We started by stripping off the old paint, and it turns out there was about 5 layers of this! We found white, yellow, orange, magenta, and pink layers of paint!
Once we got off as much as possible, we sanded the entire piece. The top was stained a dark walnut stain and sealed with polyurethane. The body we painted a nice white color, an we cleaned up the original hardware and put that back on. Because of its age, the drawers were a bit funky inside, so I lined them with some pretty drawer liners.
We sold this beautiful piece for $140.
Nik picked these two chairs up with his parents from a Habitat for Humanity Restore, for $15 each. They are upholstered with black leather, which we might replace some day with something nicer since it is cracking a bit. We’ve only gotten through one of these so far, just stripping and sanding down the wooden parts, restaining, and sealing with polyurethane. The second chair is on our to do list! Right now we use them as an extra chair in our living room and in Nik’s bedroom.
We also had a neighbor’s cat visit us while we were working on the first chair.
We bought this Broyhill coffee table off of someone on craigslist for $20. They were nice enough to deliver it, which is good because it would never have fit in Nik’s car. Unfortunately, we forgot to take a beginning picture but it was a lighter colored stain. We stripped it and sanded it down. We then stained it with dark walnut stain and sealed the entire thing with several coats of polyurethane. We sold this piece for $120 to someone in our neighborhood.
Louise’s family inherited this piano bench from her dad’s parents. Its beautiful heavy tiger-striped wood, but a few years in her brother’s room left it covered in water marks and scratches. We stole this from my parent’s house to refinish it and make it beautiful again. We stripped it down and sanded and sanded and sanded to get the water marks out. Finally we stained it with a light coat of special walnut, then sealed it with polyurethane.
Nik bought this piano bench off of someone for $20. We still have this, and we use it sort of as an ottoman in our living room. The legs should be sanded and refinished at some point, but for right now all we’ve done is reupholster the top with some batting and upholstery fabric.