Tag Archives: chest

Entryway Chest

While Nik was home for the holidays, he worked on a chest from his parent’s entryway. Here are some before pictures:IMG_1102               IMG_1104          IMG_1103

He sanded and stained the wood cherry, and the paint was called something like Nocturnal Green. He sealed it with oil-modified water based minwax polyurethane (similar to regular water-based poly, but this is what the Lowe’s by him had). Here’s the finished product:IMG_1106   IMG_1105  IMG_1107Now that we’re back from the holidays, we’ve got lots of projects to catch up on, and a new custom project that we’re hopefully picking up tonight in Durham. We just need some warmer weather to come our way so we can work outside and make some progress!

Little Chest and Side Table

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! As I said in my last post, my parents picked up some pieces from an unfinished furniture store to keep Nik and I busy during our visit so I wanted to put a few pictures of those on here.

For a little bit of back story (and way too much personal information!), I had a wonderful kitty that my parents have thankfully adopted from me so I could move in with Nik, who is very allergic to cats.

IMG_1115

My cat has always had a weird affinity for bathrooms, and she loves to be near people while they’re in there (maybe its the sound of running water? who knows…). So, my parents bought a little end table so she’d have a small place to perch in the bathroom. This end table was made out of parawood, which is a newer type of hardwood from Asia that is cheap so it is often used for less expensive furniture that can still claim to be made out of wood. The second piece was a little pine chest, perfect for sitting on to put on shoes that also has a bit of storage. Here are the pieces. Of course I forgot to take a pic before I stained the tops of each…so imagine they’re all raw wood and the lid of the chest isn’t flipped over:

IMG_1162          IMG_1161

We stained the top of each of them a hybrid stain color that we mixed with about equal parts special walnut and red chestnut, since my parents have a stained wood vanity in their bathroom we were trying to match. The stained sections were sealed with water-based poly. My mom wanted some color in her bathroom, and after much deliberation she decided on a light spring green color called “Spring Moss” by Valspar. I think this color is decidedly banana yellow, but she insists that it has the perfect hint of green she was looking for. We painted multiple coats of this paint, and we choose semi-gloss paint and primer in one so we wouldn’t have to seal it since the sheen is protective. Unfinished wood is very thirsty, and even after a coat of primer followed by 3 coats of paint, I still felt like a 4th coat would’ve been ideal but we ran out of time. Here is how the side table turned out:

IMG_1171        IMG_1172

And the chest:

IMG_1167           IMG_1169

We knocked these out in about 3 days, so I think this was a success. Now I just need to get a picture of my cat enjoying her new perch – maybe when I visit for Christmas!

Grandparent’s Hope Chest

Since our first chest came out so nicely, we offered to refinish an old chest Louise’s parents had as a gift. This chest was a hope chest built for Louise’s grandmother (or great grandmother?) by her grandfather (or great grandfather?). We never took a “before” shot, but after sanding it, staining it, and sealing it with furniture wax, the end result was simple and beautiful.

IMG_0447 IMG_0448

Cedar Lane Chest

Our bedroom always has lots of loose blankets and things floating around, so we wanted to redo a chest to use for storage. We found this beautiful cedar chest made by Lane on craigslist, and paid $80 for it. We loved the unique veneer patterns on the front of it. It sat around all winter while we waited for it to get warmer to work on it. Once we stripped and sanded it down it looked like this:

IMG_0798  IMG_0801 IMG_0802Some of the veneer was chipped in places, so Nik repaired this with extra veneer we had. We stained it with special walnut stain, and sealed the entire thing with polyurethane. IMG_0838   IMG_0423 IMG_0424After buying this piece, we decided it would be best to keep the waterfall dresser we previously refinished, since these two make somewhat of a matching set.